You can change foreign currency and Japanese yen at New Chitose Airport, Hokkaido's entrance for air routes, some banks and post offices. At banks and post offices, counters marked "Currency Exchange" can offer you assistance. Counters are open Monday to Friday, 9:00–15:00 (post offices until 16:00).
Major banks, post offices
- North Pacific ("Hokuyo") Bank
- The Hokkaido Bank
- post office (Japan Post Bank)
- The Hokuriku Bank
- Sapporo Branch of Michinoku Bank
- Sapporo Branch of Mizuho Bank
- The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ Currency Exchange Shop
- Sapporo Branch, Sapporo Branch of Citibank
Travelex offers a convenient, easy-to-use service where Japanese yen can be purchased online and collected at counters. There are 5 inside New Chitose Airport, 2 in Sapporo City. Please note that they cannot change coins.
Inside New Chitose Airport
- International Departure Lobby
- International Departure Gates
- International Arrivals Lobby
- Domestic Arrivals Lobby (ANA)
- Domestic Arrivals Lobby (JAL)
Inside Sapporo City
- Travelex Sapporo Money Transfer Plaza
- Sapporo Branch
*Available currencies differ for different banks and the post office.
*Opening hours differ for each branch of banks and post offices. Please confirm beforehand.
*Counters are closed during the New Year period and extended holidays
Foreign exchange machines are available in certain stores and hotels in central Sapporo.
- JR Tower Hotel Nikko Sapporo
- New Otani in Sapporo
- Sapporo Grand Hotel
- Marui Imai Sapporo Main Store, Ichijokan etc.
At Seven Eleven stores around Hokkaido, you can use your VISA of Mastercard in the Seven Bank ATMs to withdraw Japanese Yen.